Friday, October 24, 2014

Obsession

I feel as though I need to start this post with the acceptance of a terrible obsession I have with St. Vincent, milk glass, pressed glass and preparing for a home we don’t even own yet. If you follow me on Instagram @ladyephotos you’ll see some of my crazy shopping sprees.

Ok, now that that is over I can get down to telling you WHY I have this unhealthy (at least my husband thinks so) obsession with thrifting. I LOVE old things. I love thinking about where they came from and the story that might be behind them.  Many would say I have a old lady style. I’m hoping some day they won’t see it that way when I design our new house with a modern twist with everything I have collected. I have a collection of furniture sitting in a chicken coop up north that is just WAITING for me to bring it home so I can breathe new life into it. These pieces have been in our family for decades and now just sit, collecting dust. Some people see junk, old furniture that should just be gotten rid of, or something that is out of style. I see things I can make new again :)

Isn't this just the most gorgeous piece?!

A very small sample of milk glass
 
I about died when I walked around the corner and saw this lamp.
The lady said she had just set it on the shelf minutes before.
St. Vincent has been my go to place to find great treasures for awhile now. I’ve tried Goodwill, Bethesda, and others but I always go back to St. Vincent. I love the people working there and I’ve even gotten the in of what days certain things go out and how their marking system works. Yes, I actually PLAN my days that I’m going to go there!

I have a large collection of vintage salt and pepper shakers too but 90% of those were given to me by my grandma and she got them from her stepmother. See? More items with a history :) I don't have any photos of those right now because they are packed away with the majority of our belongings.

I couldn’t even begin to tell you where my fascination with milk glass and pressed glass came from. It just happened one day and stuck. Funny story...I found a rectangular relish tray one day and I was so excited. I got home and told my mom that I found this super cute tray and that it would be perfect to put pickles and olives on at holiday time. She looked at me and said “Do you know WHY you think that would be perfect? Because you ate pickles and olives off that exact same dish growing up!” She then reaches in to the cupboard and pulls out the EXACT same relish tray.
 
Yep..that middle piece is the relish tray I had to have lol.
 
The other item I seem to collect a lot of is CHAIRS! My husband has pretty much told me that I can’t bring any more home as we have NO PLACE TO PUT THEM!!!
 
Chairs that came out of the coop. Oh and that mirror??
Can't wait to hang that some day :)
I always say it will be the last one…until I find the next one. This was my latest purchase.
 
 

It will be repainted and reupholstered and turned in to a sitting chair for my bedroom once we buy a house. Right now it’s covered in a blanket and used as my office chair.

That’s probably something I should explain. We are currently living with my mom. We sold our last house and sadly took a loss on it so we are staying with her to help save up for a down payment. For some reason I think I need to start buying things to decorate our new house before we even have it. I have big plans with all the little trinkets and books I’ve bought to decorate the book shelves I will, of course, have next to my fire place. I have dinner parties thought up so I can use my random china and pressed glass pieces.
 


 
 

The poker table that is in pieces in the chicken coop will get redone and go in our basement because yes, we will have a finished basement.
 

Some day we'll play games on this table :)
My husband just shakes his head and can’t even begin to picture what I’m going to do with all this stuff.

I know…I’m a dreamer…and guess what?! That’s OK WITH ME!!!

I’m excited for the day I can share with you my furniture rehabs, my decorating ideas, and our new house. Hopefully sooner rather than later!!!

Hope you enjoyed my post today :) Do you have any crazy shopping obsessions like me or am I the only one? Leave me a comment. I’d LOVE to hear from you!!

Much love,
Liz

15 comments:

  1. Ahhh one mans trash is another mans treasure! I really REALLY enjoyed this! So much fun! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That saying is SOOO true Brooke :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks!!! I'm hoping to do more like this in the future :) xo

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, yes! All these things! My blog is called maiden modern because I LOVE the idea of taking something old and turning it into something awesome, unique, and totally modern. Love your post, and LOVE St. VINCENT!!!

    Www.facebook.com/maidenmodern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Oh I'm so excited to read your blog now!! Glad I'm not the only person who has strong feelings about old things :) Thanks for the love and I can't wait until I can actually do something with all my stuff!!!

      Delete
  3. I love it all! Great finds! Now I'll have to go follow you on instagram lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marisa!! I love going and not knowing what I want because that's usually when I find something amazing :) I look forward to the follow!

      Delete
  4. Love your post...we just got into thrufting and we love it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracee! It's so much fun isn't it?!?

      Delete
  5. Love collecting interesting old bits and have been a skip diver since I was small and dragging things back home. Love your collection. That sideboard is gorgeous. Hope to see some pics of it all together. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Andrea! I've never of skip diving before lol. Actually had to look it up :) I honestly can't wait to get it all home so I can start working on it. I'll definitely be keeping the blog updated so make sure you keep checking back!

      Delete
  6. I think that is so neat! I love love your style, and I for sure cant WAIT to see what you do to everything when you put it all together in your design. Down right lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Sara!!! I'm so happy you like it. I'm beyond excited to get it all pulled together and can't wait to show everyone. Keep checking back!!!

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love this post! I agree with and share in your passion for collecting old things! Anything that has an energy, a history, a story is beautiful and worth keeping in my eyes. I can totally feel your passion in this post! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer!! I'm so glad you liked it :) I just can't wait to actually bring things back to life. Then I will feel as though I have brought the story and history back alive. I'm even going to write down the stories of the pieces I know about and attach them to the bottom. Thanks for the love :) xo

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete