Thursday, October 16, 2014

How To - Day 3 of the Feel Good Blogging Challenge

Today’s challenge from Alex Beadon had me TERRIFIED! I had no clue what I was going to do. She asked us to write a tutorial. ME?! Teach other people how to do something?! It took me all day to figure out what I wanted to do…I wrote down ideas, scratched them off, started again…and so on and so on. All of a sudden it hit me…why don’t I do a tutorial on something I, myself, wanted to learn!? (insert head slap here)

So today, we are going to learn how to make a scarf ladder :) I have been wanting one of these FOREVER and what better time than today to make one. I enlisted the help of my husband, who just shakes his head when I come up with stuff like this, and we set off to the local hardware store to get supplies. Yes, I am seriously going to make this scarf ladder TONIGHT, pictures and all, just for this challenge :)

So where were we? Oh…right, driving to the local hardware store to the store to get supplies. You will need 2- 6' 2x4's, 2-4' dowels 1 3/8" for the rungs, wood glue, and a drill bit that looks like this.



The beautiful sunset as we left

I decided that I wanted my ladder to be 6' tall so this actually worked out well. I'm going to have 4 rungs at 12" apart and they are going to be 18" across. My husband started off by cutting a 10 degree angle on the bottom of each 2x4.




I then marked where each rung was going to be and my husband drilled a hole about an inch deep centered on our 2x4's. I had marks at 6", 18", 30" and 42".

 



I didn’t want it to go all the way through because I feel it will have a better hold with the wood glue if there is a pocket for it to sit in.

He then cut 4-18" rungs for me.



After the holes were drilled, I put a generous amount of wood glue in each hole and secured the dowels. At this point, I just left the ladder sit so the glue could dry.


assembly time

Husband checking our work :)

I was going to paint it tonight but I am quickly running out of energy so that's going to be tomorrow's project.

It’s finally ready to come in the house and to be decorated with all my scarves :)

My poor metal scarf hanger overflowing
 
Pile O' Scarves
 
Here is the finished product!!! I hoping to use some leftover paint from other projects to paint it with. This whole project only cost me $22!!! You can certainly use different sizes of wood and customize the ladder any way you would like.



I hope you all loved my tutorial :) I know I did! If you did, please leave a comment as I would love to hear if you’d like to see more of these types of posts.

I can't even begin to imagine what tomorrow's challenge is going to be!!

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tara! It was actually not too hard at all and was nice to have something for my husband and I to do together :)

      Delete
  2. This is great! Thanks for sharing!! = ) I need to get me some more scarves so I have a reason to make one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Angel!!! I didn't even realize I had so many! lol. It was really easy to make and had it done in less than an hour :)

      Delete
  3. Great! You did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really impressive! You are one crafty woman. I could really use a scarf ladder...and some of those cute scarfs, too. ^_^ Keep sharing your creative how-to's with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Georgina! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) It wasn't hard at all to make and it's so much easier to see what I have. I most definitely will!! Stay tuned!!!

      Delete
  5. This is so cool!! It looks awesome! Great post :)
    ~Christina
    http://thedancegrad.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina :) It was so easy to make that I think all the girls in my life are going to get one for Christmas!

      Delete
  6. Omgosh so brilliant! I keep all my scarves in a bag where they sit, all wrinkly, just hoping I remember they're in there every winter haha! I definitely will be trying this. I think it's so fun that you pushed yourself to do this! The results are great:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza!!! I'm so glad you found this post useful :) I've been wanting one for so long so I could see all my scarves (the organizing freak in me) and to remind me to wear them!!! I definitely stepped up the game with this challenge. Can't believe I made this in one night!

      Delete
  7. Amazing idea! I need one of these! Thanks for sharing love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke I totally thought of you after I saw your Pinterest outfit tutorial :) I guess you could say you had something to do with my inspiration for mine ;) You'll have to show me yours once you finish it.

      Delete
  8. It looks so good! Wonderful job seizing the moment and just going for it. I think that's the best thing about this challenge - it's encouraging all of us to stop thinking too hard about everything and just go for it! Good luck with day 4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacia! Thanks :) You are so right. This challenge is pushing me in ways I never imagined. It also made me realize that if I put my mind to something, I CAN DO IT! I'm excited for day 4 and good luck to you as well!!!

      Delete
  9. Brilliant, you nailed it!! (well glued it). Such a great finished product and very well presented guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA :) Thanks Chris!!! I'm so happy with how in turned out especially since I was learning right along with everyone else! I'm looking forward to doing more of these posts very soon.

      Delete
  10. First of all, I love your boldness for just going for it and doing something you haven't done yet! You go girl! I also have a million scarves so I might actually need this tutorial in the near future! :)

    Arica, xxo
    www.varnakandlollies.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Arica! It was definitely a step out of my comfort zone. I love making things but have never made myself do a project on such a short timeline with no prep! It was an amazingly liberating experience!!! I'm so glad you found it useful and I hope you will share your photo with me once you are finished! I'd love to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are awesome...wow!!!

    http://wairimumurigi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww Thanks Wairimu!!! I even celebrating by buying two new scarves today :) Can't wait to see what your blog is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fabulous idea! I need one of these in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicolette!! Thanks so much :) I'm absolutely loving it and even bought more scarves to put on it!!! I hope you get a chance to make one :)

      Delete